Saturday, January 7, 2012

Salad Dressing

Many of my recipes use vinegar, and I really like them, but since it is now on my list of foods I can't eat, I need to find replacements.  My first attempts have been to use lemon instead, and so far so good.  At least for salad dressing, which happens to be the most straight forward.  I'm pretty sure that this simple salad dressing is going to find it's way into my recipes to replace the vinegar - it's just a matter of how many ways I can tweak it. 
So for now, I just whisk fresh squeezed lemon juice and olive oil together with some basil, oregano, and thyme.  Simple and delicious!
In the past, I would use either regular or balsamic vinegar instead of lemon juice, and it is delicious.  If you like more creamy dressings, you can try out just mixing up mayo and ketchup and you have French dressing! Or one of my favorites is honey mustard.  This can be made with or without mayo, but I usually like using the mayo to tone it down a little bit.  Just mix mayo, dijon mustard, and honey.  Salad dressing is really easy, huh? Makes me wonder what all of those other ingredients in commercial dressings are! These, of course work well for spreads, and can be the basis of sauces. 

No comments:

Post a Comment