Thursday, January 5, 2012

Basic Broths

Broth is a staple in my kitchen.  I use it all the time, and the pre-made versions just have too many allergens...or toxins.  If I can eat them, it's not usually worth the price.  So, any time I see "brothy" meats on sale, I grab them and throw them in the freezer for "Broth Day".  Meat stocks to best when you have some bones and some tissue meats.  I use a small roasting chicken for chicken stalk, and I use marrow bones with whatever kinds of meats I can find.  Either stock will be fine, but bland, unless you add some onion and some root veggies to add depth to the flavor.  I haven't ventured into fish stalks, and just haven't done the vegetable stock.  Here are the basics:

 Chicken Stock/Broth:

1 full chicken, rinsed
cover chicken with water until there is about 2-3 inches of water above chicken.  For more flavorful broth use less water, for more bang for your buck use more water.

Heat just until it boils and skim off the scum that rises to the top.
Add onion, celery, carrot (or leek, celery root, or whatever veggies you have on hand), peppercorns, sea salt, parsley and thyme.

Return to a slow boil.  (You don't want a roaring boil because it will break down the meat and make the broth difficult to strain, and you will loose a lot of liquid).  Keep at least partially covered.   Let it boil for at least 4 hours.

Once cooled, remove chicken and veggies, and strain the broth.  Transfer to bowl, cover and refrigerate overnight.  In the morning remove the layer of fat that rises to the top.  

I discard the veggies, but I keep the chicken to make chicken salad from. 

*You could also roast the chicken first and then make the broth from the left over carcass. After you refrigerate the broth, it will become coagulated.  In my recipe, the broth will be liquid except for the fat layer on top.

BEEF STOCK:

For beef stock, I get some marrow bones from the grocery store, and whatever inexpensive tissue meats I can find.  The marrow of the bones has some really great nutrients, so I find it really important to get that stuff out!

Preheat your oven to 350, and take the big bones and stand them on the ends in a roasting pan so that the marrow and juices can seep out.  Roast for 30-45 minutes.

Take the bones and put them in your stock pot and cover with enough water.  (until there is a couple if inches covering the bones).   Scrape the roasting pan to get all of the liquid and bits into your broth.  Add to the stock pot along with whatever tissue meats you have.

Continue on as with the chicken stock. 

Having these in the house is awesome in terms of coming up with quick sauces or soups. 

No comments:

Post a Comment