Friday, January 6, 2012

Harvest Soup

This isn't really an original recipe - it's been done a lot.  But it's soooo good! It's simple, and easy to adjust to what you have on hand.
The only ingredients are home made chicken stock, red onion, kale, squash, and potato.  (Yep, my profile picture at the moment).  The soup would be good using endless variations.  I made it both with butternut squash and acorn squash, and I'm sure any other squash would work just fine.  I added the potato so that it would make the soup a little thicker and because I always want more food.  But you can leave it out and the soup will be fine.  You could also use spinach, chard, or collard greens.

All I did was saute the red onion in a small amount of olive oil, added the broth and the squash and let it boil for about 20 minutes, then I added the kale and the potato and let that cook for about 20 more minutes.  Then I mashed up the squash and potato so that it turned the broth that pretty orange color, but left enough chunks so that I could still get a nice texture.  If you left out the potato, the colors would be even more vibrant.  It's really a beautiful soup and it tastes so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment