Friday, January 27, 2012

Berry Nutty Hot Breakfast

Since cutting gluten out of my diet, I had been relying quite heavily on eggs as a breakfast option...quick, yummy, and healthy! But, having bombarded my system with eggs, I have started to become sensitive to them...I can tell when I leave the eggs a little runny, or if I eat eggnog.  Cooked eggs don't really seem to bother me too much, but taking a break from them will only be beneficial, so that way I can still eat them on occasion without ucky side effects.  I have stumbled across some tasty grain recipes that have been wonderful! I alternate between using oatmeal, polenta, and sprouted quinoa.  There are two variations that I love, one with brown sugar and maple syrup, the other with honey - both are delicious!
You will need:
1 cup of grain
2 cups of liquid (water, milk, or milk replacement - I have been using coconut milk, and it's fabulous!)
1 tablespoon of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of nutmeg
1 teaspoon (or less) of cloves
brown sugar, maple syrup, and/or honey to taste
Topping:
1 handfull of nuts (almonds, walnuts, whatever)
1 handfull of berries (I used blueberries)
drizzle of maple syrup or honey

Soak your grain in half of the liquid overnight (unless you are using your already sprouted quinoa).  So if you are cooking one cup of oatmeal, soak in one cup of water.  In the morning do a quick rinse, and then add the second cup of liquid.  Or, if you don't soak your grains, just add two cups of liquid to one cup of grain.  Your cooking time will be longer if you don't soak.

Heat the grains and liquid on high heat until it just reaches a boil, then reduce to a simmer.  Add cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. (and brown sugar, if using).  Let simmer for 5-10 minutes, or until grains are tender, and the porridge is at a consistency you like. When the porridge is done cooking, transfer to bowl, and add nuts, berries, and a drizzle of honey (or maple syrup).  Enjoy!!

You can also use whatever other grains and berries you have on hand, and still get a Berry Nutty And Yummy Hot Breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment