Monday, February 6, 2012

Protein Squares - First Attempt!

I visited a close friend last night, and she gave me something that changed my life.  She's done it before, and I know she will do it again.  This time she made these amazing protein squares.  They were fabulous, so I decided to follow suit and make my own with a few tweaks.  I still have some tweaking to do, but boy are these yummy! And healthy too! Each square is packed with protein, fiber, and healthy fats, and if you use unsweetened chocolate, very little sugar.

To make these, I started with about 1 1/2 cups of rolled oats, 1 cup of sunflower seed butter, maybe 2 tablespoons of honey, and 1/2 tablespoon of cinnamon.  Stir until ingredients are well mixed.  Press into the bottom of a dish.

Melt some unsweetened or semi sweetened chocolate chips, or a chocolate bar, then spread it into a thin layer across the top.  I probably had about two tablespoons of melted chocolate, maybe three...


Then to make it look pretty and some more fiber, protein, and antioxidants, ect, etc, I added some almond slivers to the top.  Then I put it in the fridge to set for a few minutes.  Or you could throw it in the freezer.  What matters is that the chocolate hardens into a nice solid layer.  Then enjoy them.  You may want a nice glass of (non dairy) milk or ice cream to accompany this.


Next time I make this, I will probably use less oatmeal and grind up some of it so that it's not so chunky.  Maybe even use almond flour to up the protein even more.  You could also probably substitute a number of nut butters here, but keep in mind that the sunflower seed butter is very wet, so it's easy to mix everything together, if you are using peanut butter or almond butter, you will have to work a little harder to get the oatmeal coated nicely, and the consistency will be a little different.  Also, if you use agave nectar instead of honey, it won't bind as well - the honey is pretty sticky.

Just be fore warned that you will probably eat the entire dish, so it's best to make two and keep one in the freezer.....

No comments:

Post a Comment