Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Ooey Gooey Mac 'n Cheese

So, most of my meals are pretty healthy.  Sometimes, though, you just need to indulge.  I've been playing with reintroducing dairy into my diet and hoping that it doesn't affect Nick anymore.  Here is one of the things I decided I missed like crazy - a good mac and cheese! I still have to put a sort of healthy spin on it, of course, and I certainly don't want to go back to eating out of a box, so I decided on a whim to try it from "scratch".  I haven't made my own pasta (yet).  Surprisingly, it wasn't hard.  And not much more work than making it from the box - the only difference is shredding the cheese.

I used:

1 stick of organic butter (unsalted)
__of coconut milk.  I totally forgot to measure.  I should have.  about 1-1.5 cups.
1 tablespoon of flour
1 block of raw cheddar cheese.  I think it ended up being 2.5-3 cups shredded.  I used more than I anticipated because I didn't measure my milk first, and used too much.
Basil, Salt, and Pepper to taste
Your choice of pasta

This came out super rich and creamy! It served enough for Jason and I as a main dish (with a salad).

Put water on to boil the pasta, and add pasta when ready.
While that happens, melt the butter in a separate pot.  When the butter is melted, add the milk. Add the flour, and bring the mixture to a soft boil/simmer for about 5 minutes, or until mixture starts to thicken.  Now start stirring in shredded cheese.  When cheese has been incorporated, turn heat waaay down and add in cooked pasta, make sure it is evenly coated.  Toss with seasoning.  Remove from heat and let sit for a few minutes while the sauce thickens a bit.  Then Enjoy!!!

Unfortunately my camera is full, and I'm afraid to delete the pictures until our back up drive arrives.  :(
But this is definitely goooooood! Although, I guess it would be even better if you added other cheeses for a more complex flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment