Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Flip Flop

I have been having this internal...or maybe it's been quite external too...battle between whether or not to cut dairy.  At last post I decided it was time.  But I lied.  I just can't give it up, plus it seems that Nick is having issues with something other than dairy.  Something that is a little more difficult to pin point.  Like a preservative or a "natural" flavor.  I think that he is reacting because once I allow dairy back into my system I also allow more processed foods back.  And when we go out to eat, I can't really help but splurge.  But if it were the dairy itself that Nick had issue with, his symptoms would be a bit more clear cut.  On that note, I made some awesome meals with goat cheese lately.  YUM!

First, I will start off with something a simple that is actually a nice little splurge.  Jelly.  Why go through the trouble of making jelly when it's so easy to buy? Well, why not? It's easy and it's a great way to use some of the strawberries I get in my produce delivery.  And you can be in control of the type of sweetness you use and how much.  I actually like my jelly quite tart.  But you could add some agave, honey, stevia, or sugar to make yours sweeter.  I suggest adding it slowly and tasting as you go. 
You will need:

1 package of strawberries, greens removed and cut in half or quartered
some sweetener (I used about 1-2 teaspoons of agave nectar - kinda wish I had used honey)
2-4 tablespoons of water, depending on how many strawberries you have
acid, usually lemon (I didn't have any, so left it out, and it still tastes fine)

Heat resistant jar to put jelly into

So, you have cut up the strawberries and put them into a small pot:

Cover with just enough water to coat the strawberries to prevent burning
 Heat and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until enough liquid has evaporated to make your jelly a good consistency for you.  Once the berries have softened, use a potato masher, or fork, or whatever else you can find to smush up the berries.  Stir in desired sweetener as the berries cook.

Pour into jar and chill.  Eat as needed.  And repeat.

This is one way I enjoyed my jelly. Breakfast Pizza.  What a glorious way to begin enjoying dairy again!
Recipe for some yummy healthy(ish) cookies to follow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment