Friday, March 16, 2012

The GAPS diet has officially begun!

Yup, the tides have turned.  After having a miserable weekend, in terms of allergy reactions, I have had ENOUGH! I'm sick and tired of wondering which foods are making us sick, being worried about future effects, and the long term effects for always being in a state of inflammation. 
It's weird, after being sick all weekend, I feel as though my body has cleansed itself of a lot of toxic "stuff".  I have felt better than I have in a long time.  But as the week has gone on, I have been slowly returning to the ucky status "quo".  Instead of always living in fear of side effects from the very foods that are supposed to be nourishing me, I want to try to heal my body.  That's where GAPS comes in.  Following the "rules" of the GAPS diet should help detoxify my body and allow me to go from this state of dis-ease to a state of ease...and I'm taking my son (and hopefully my husband) with me!  And anyone else who want to join us on this journey.
This is not a temporary quick fix diet, this is a total lifestyle change.  And I have made the choice to be committed to the change.  I hope those around us can be supportive of this choice - most people who have tried to "diet" or "eat healthy" know that the hardest thing about trying to change, is having the loved ones around you constantly (even inadvertently) sabotaging your efforts.  So I hope that we all have the strength to stick with this.  I know I do.  I have made a choice to do this, because I can no longer accept the consequences of what can happen if I don't. 
It feels really good to make that choice. 
My first job is to find some good GAPS recipes and practice some of the cooking techniques.  Taking long hot baths was also recommended to me...woohoo! Getting good sunlight, a probiotic, Cod liver oil, and a few other odds and ends.  And using up all of the "GAPS Illegal" food in my pantry.  These are things like pre-packaged food mixes and cereal (anything that comes in a box), all grains, all starchy veggies, and all refined sugar.  And for me, dairy for the first six weeks of being on the first GAPS diet.  Oh well. 
Here we go!!

No comments:

Post a Comment