Friday, March 23, 2012

Beet Kvass - Step One!

My first step in starting GAPS is really finishing up a lot of what I have on hand, and just replacing it with appropriate foods.  At the same time I need to start implementing some probiotic foods.  My first attempt at lactofermentation is with beets.  Simple, sweet and sour, and easy!

To start, I cut up one bunch of beets, this time was about 3 medium sized beets.  I added them to my sprouting jar, but a half gallon mason jar is the "appropriate" size.  To the beets I added a tablespoon of celtic sea salt, then mostly filled the container with filtered water.  Stir. 




Cover, and let it sit out on your counter for a few days.  You can also use whey to speed up the process (use a half cup of whey, and only a pinch of salt if you do it this way).  You can get whey from the top of a good organic yogurt, or you can let (preferably raw) milk separate.  The liquid is the whey.  Since I need to cut dairy, I'm sticking to just salt, but it takes a bit longer for the process to get going.

I started my kvass on Sunday afternoon, Monday morning it looked exactly the same, so I left it be.  Tuesday morning there were the first signs of bubbles on top - this is how you know it's working.  I tasted it then, and it was still very sweet, and very salty.  But not bad at all! But I could tell that it still needed time.  So I let it go until Wednesday, and tasted again.  This time it was a little more sour, but I wanted to wait one more day.  Thursday, I could tell that it was good, and so I poured it off and put it into the fridge.  I can tell that this will be an "aquired" taste, however, it wasn't bad! Also note that my body actually FEELS nourished when I drink it.  That's pretty sweet!

Having been drinking the kvass in the mornings, I notice that my cravings have diminished a ton.  Which also has to do with the fact that I stopped eating sugar.  It's amazing how (insert comforting term here - normal, comfortable, relaxed, even, calm, better!) I feel.  This is good. 

So drinking the kvass on it's own is okay, but I decided to make a shake for a snack.  There have been tons of posts about everyone trying these Green smoothies (which I will go into in another post!) using spinach, kale, and other green fruits and veggies, so I decided to try a berry smoothie.  It was goooood! 

I used about one cup of the beet kvass, half a cup of orange juice, two teaspoons of coconut oil, a few frozen mixed berries, a frozen banana, and a handful of spinach for good measure.  I just threw everything into a big cup and used the immersion blender to blend it.  It was delightful! 



It would also be pretty yummy as a popscicle, but that would probably kill the probiotics.....

I would highly recommend this cleansing tonic to anyone and everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment